Comenius University offers, organizes and provides higher education in the framework of accredited study programmes at three levels:
I. level: Bachelor’s study programme - Graduates are conferred the academic degree “bakalár” (abbreviation “Bc.”).
II. level: Master’s study programme - Graduates are conferred the academic degree “magister” (abbreviation “Mgr.”).
An exception is the six-year medical study programme, which can be studied only as a joint of the first and the second level. Graduates are conferred the academic degree “doctor všeobecného lekárstva” (doctor of general medicine abbreviation “MUDr.”) or “doctor zubného lekárstva” (doctor of dentistry abbreviation “MDDr.”).
III. level: Ph.D. study programme - Graduates are conferred the academic degree “doktor” (abbreviation “PhD.”).
The credit system has been introduced at all faculties of Comenius University in Bratislava since the academic year 2000/2001. The credit system is compatible with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). One year of full-time study at Comenius University in Bratislava is equivalent to 60 ECTS credit points.
For information about Higher education in Slovakia please refer to the following link: Study in Slovakia
Winter semester 2022/2023
- from September 19, 2022 to December 16, 2022 *
- Matriculation Day: September 12, 2022
- Welcome Week: from September 12 till September 16, 2022
- Programme for Welcome Week will be added in a timely manner
- lecture period: from September 19 till December (depends on the faculty, contact the faculty coordinator)
- examination period: from January to February
* Faculty od Medicine starts a week earlier (12 September) – contact your faculty administrator for more info
The period of the full academic year: September 19, 2022 - June 30, 2023
Summer semester 2022/2023
- from February 13, 2023 to May 12, 2023 *
- Matriculation Day: February 6, 2023
- Welcome Week: from February 6 till February 10, 2023 - Programme for Welcome Week will be added in a timely manner
- lecture period: from February 13 till May (depends on the faculty, contact the faculty coordinator)
- examination period: from May to June
* The length of courses in each semester is 14 weeks
The Academic year consists of two semesters (winter and summer semester) followed by an examination period. During the examination period, teaching activities do not take place, so students can sit for the examinations.
from mid September to mid December *
from January to February
from mid February to mid May *
from May to June
from July to August
*The length of courses in each semester is 14 weeks
Public holidays in Slovakia
Day of the Establishment of the Slovak republic
Good Friday and Easter Monday
International Workers' Day
Day of Victory over Fascism
St. Cyril & St. Methodius Day
Slovak National Uprising Anniversary
Day of the Constitution of the Slovak republic
Day of Blessed Virgin Mary
All Saints' Day
Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day