The origins of the faculties of Comenius University
FACULTY OF MEDICINE of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The oldest faculty of Comenius University – the Faculty of Medicine began operating immediately after the establishing of Comenius University, in 1919. During the first five years of its existence only clinical classes were open. From the 1924/25 academic year all grades of medical studies began to be run and by 1945 most of the courses had been established. Between the years 1939 and 1952 specialists in pharmacy had trained at the faculty, too. It contributed considerably to establishing other faculties of medicine in Slovakia.
FACULTY OF LAW of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The Faculty of Law was founded in 1921 and was gradually built up within the first two decades of its existence. Great personages of law were active at this faculty and generations of acknowledged experts in legal theory, legal practice and politics trained there.
FACULTY OF PHILOSOPHY of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
This is one of the oldest faculties of Comenius. It was established in 1921 with active help of professors from Charles University, Prague. Apart from training high school teachers the Faculty of Philosophy trained also first professionals in the sphere of humanities.
FACULTY OF NATURAL SCIENCES of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The Act of 1919 on establishing Comenius University also anchored the establishing of the Faculty of Natural Sciences. However, the faculty only started its activities in 1940. Thanks to the rapid developments in natural sciences most of the elementary scientific disciplines developed as early as during the 1960s.
FACULTY OF EDUCATION of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
University education of teachers is related to the establishing of the Faculty of Education in 1946. In 1949 the branches of this faculty were opened in Banská Bystrica and Košice. After reorganizing of pedagogical education, teacher training was moved over to the College of Education and other pedagogical colleges, later to pedagogical institutes. The faculty became the constituent of Comenius University again in 1964 after transforming the Pedagogical Institute in Trnava into the Faculty of Education of Comenius University. In 1986 the faculty was transferred to Bratislava.
FACULTY OF PHARMACY of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The Faculty of Pharmacy was founded in 1952. Before its establishing, two-year (1939), three-year (1940) and four-year (1948) courses were available at the Faculty of Medicine, CU. After merging with the Faculty of Pharmacy in Brno (Czech Republic), the faculty was the only national faculty of the then Czecho-Slovakia between the years 1960 and 1969.
FACULTY OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION AND SPORTS of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
Physical education teachers began to be trained at Comenius University in 1939 at the Institute of Physical Education, which was part of the Faculty of Philosophy. After reorganizing the teacher training studies in 1946, physical education studies were transferred to the newly established faulty of education. In 1960 the Institute of Physical Education and Sports of CU was established and was renamed to the Faculty of Physical Education and Sports in 1965.
JESSENIUS FACULTY OF MEDICINE of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The long lasting traditions of the hospital in the town of Martin provided the favourable conditions for founding the branch of the faculty of medicine in 1962. All general medicine courses were opened as early as 1966. The independent Faculty of Medicine of Comenius University in Martin originated from the branch in 1969. The faculty was renamed the Jessenius Faculty of Medicine of Comenius University in 1991.
FACULTY OF MATHEMATICS, PHYSISCS AND INFORMATICS of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
Rapid development of natural sciences required the detachment of the mathematical and physical disciplines from the faculty of natural sciences and establishing the independent Faculty of Mathematics and Physics in 1980. Experts in mathematics, physics and informatics are trained at the faculty.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CYRILOMETHODIAN FACULTY OF THEOLOGY of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The Roman Catholic Faculty of Theology was legally established by the Act of 1919, but officially it was not established before 1936. It became the university constituent in 1940. In 1950 it fell under the administration of the ministry of culture. The faculty rejoined the CU constituents on 1 August 1990. The educational institutions at clerical seminars in Bratislava, Nitra, Banská Bystrica, Spišské Podhradie and Košice are administered by the faculty.
EVANGELICAL FACULTY OF THEOLOGY of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
The first Slovak Evangelical College of Theology was established in 1919 from the former Academy of Theology. In 1939 it was renamed to the Slovak Faculty of Theology. It remained outside CU of which it became the constituent on 1 July 1990.
FACULTY OF MANAGEMENT of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
After November 1989 new possibilities were created for developing new branches of science. These were reflected at CU by establishing in 1991 the new faculty – the Faculty of Management, where university qualified experts in the area of management train.
FACULTY OF SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC SCIENCES of COMENIUS UNIVERSITY
In 2002 the newest and youngest faculty was established – the Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences. Its primary task is to develop theoretical knowledge and help its application in the areas of economy and territorial studies, European studies and international relations, as well as in social and political science.