Interruption of full-time studies at Comenius University and Slovak University of Technology: Joint statement by the Rectors
Given the reports on the spread of COVID-19 and the peak epidemic of influenza, the Rectors of Comenius University and the Slovak University of Technology have decided to take preventive measures to prevent further spread of the virus. Since we are the two largest universities with more than 30,000 students and run the largest Slovak student city in Mlynská dolina, we take the current situation extremely seriously and feel responsible for the health of our students and employees. The measures were adopted by the Crisis Management Team, which the Chief Expert of the Ministry of Health for Epidemiology also attended, and also with the consultation of the Chief Hygienist of the Slovak Republic.
By: CU Public Relations Office
- From Monday, March 9, 2020 to Saturday, March 21, 2020, we are interrupting full-time classes for the duration of two weeks. The educational process will take place in the form of self-study or other appropriate methods. Details shall be laid down by the Deans of the Faculties and the persons issued necessary authorization by them.
- We hereby invite all staff involved in the education process to provide students with all the necessary information and background material so that they can attend the self-study during the specified break period pertaining to full-time classes.
- The Rectors of both universities, after consulting the public authorities' decision of the Crisis Management Team, strongly recommend students staying in dormitories to leave for home during the break of full-time classes. Please note that in the event of an infection within the dormitories, accommodation will have to be quarantined. If the dormitories are not left by a critical number of students by March, 11 2020, the Rectors may be forced to order the closure of the dormitories. Slovak students were advised to return home from the dormitories but we would like to ask the Erasmus+ students and all other foreign students NOT TO PANIC and stay at the dormitories since there are only 7 cases of COVID-19 in Slovakia.
- The Deans of the individual Faculties and the Directors of additional units, based on the orders of the Rectors, will determine the capacity of work of individual employees, in order to protect their health.
- At the same time, we are cancelling all meetings of self-governing academic bodies, such as scientific boards or academic senates, and all collective events at the premises of both universities.
Some tips for prevention:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap or disinfectant based on alcohol.
- Avoid crowded spaces.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your face (especially eyes, nose and mouth).
- Stay at home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
If you feel sick and think you might have the new virus, please contact the info line of the Ministry of Healthcare at +421 800 221 234.
Students, please read and follow your university mailboxes and university websites. We are continuing to monitor the situation and will be promptly informing about further reports.