Five new Professors from Comenius University
On 23 March 2023, the President of the Slovak Republic, Zuzana Čaputová, appointed 36 new university Professors. In her address she told them that the title of Professor makes them responsible for how it's used.
By: CU External Relations Office
The newly appointed Professors include:
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Mgr. Martina Gajdošová, PhD., theory and history of the state and law, Faculty of Law, CU,
- Assoc. Prof. Mgr. Martin Hurbanič, PhD., general history, Faculty of Arts, CU,
- Assoc. Prof. PhDr. Daniel Lančarič, PhD., general linguistics, Faculty of Arts, CU,
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Tomáš Ľalík, PhD., constitutional law, Faculty of Law, CU,
- Assoc. Prof. JUDr. Romana Smyčková, PhD., civil law, Faculty of Law, CU.
According to the Head of State, a mature democratic and civil society needs a functioning legal framework. "It needs citizens who know history in order to be able to understand the present. It needs an educated and enlightened population capable of critical thinking. It needs people who are literate in matters of economy and law, but also in social affairs and culture, citizens with a sense of justice and a sensitivity for the environment, with respect for the norms and values that define our relationships and that qualify us to be a viable and considerate human community," she said. According to President Čaputová, a democratic and civil society needs culture in the broadest sense, and the humanities play a key role in it.