We are the Only Slovak University in the Shangai Ranking
Bratislava, 30 August 2021: Comenius University Bratislava was the only Slovak university to make it into this year's prestigious Shanghai ranking of the top world universities. This year it ranked in the 801st - 900th band.
By: CU External Relations Office
The ranking evaluated more than 2,000 world universities, but only published the top 1,000 universities in the world. Comenius University is the only university from Slovakia among them. According to the Shanghai ranking, Harvard University is the best university in the world. Seven universities from the Czech Republic are included in the ranking, Charles University Prague being the best of them.
The Shanghai ranking also evaluates individual academic subjects. In physics, Comenius University ranks 301st - 400th and in clinical medicine it ranks 401st - 500th.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), known as the Shanghai Ranking, focuses primarily on the scientific and research quality of institutions. It uses six indicators to evaluate the world's universities:
- Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals,
- Staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals,
- Highly cited researchers,
- Papers published in Nature and Science,
- Papers indexed in Science Citation Index-Expanded and Social Science Citation Index,
- Per capita academic performance of an institution.
The indicators which evaluate the number of prizes go decades into the past. The number of cited researchers, on the contrary, is from November 2020. Papers published in Nature and Science are evaluated for the period of 2016 to 2020.